Licence Conversions

Coming over to Australia? Converting your overseas licence to an Australian Licence can be made easier by letting us help you.

All the information you need to know on where to go and the steps required is listed below. 

With the introduction of the Part 61 licencing, the process of converting your licence has changed. This is especially true for the conversion of a Private Pilot Licence. The CASA Flight Crew licencing Procedures Manual states:

12.1 Requirements for the Recognition of Overseas Flight Crew Authorisations:

12.1.1 For recognition of an overseas authorisation to issue a Private Pilot Licence (PPL). 
In accordance with CASR 61.275, CASA will accept that the requirements for the issue of an Australian flight crew licence with an aircraft rating are met. 

Only if the holder of an overseas flight crew licence (issued by an ICAO Contracting State) with an aircraft category rating provides evidence that satisfies CASA, that the licence and any rating on it is at least equivalent to the Australian licence and rating being requested; and

1. The applicant is at least the minimum age for the grant of the Australian licence; and

2. The applicant holds an authorisation to operate an aircraft radio; and

3. Either the applicant’s overseas licence states that the applicant has a current ICAO level 4 English language proficiency standard or higher or the applicant has a current aviation English language proficiency assessment.”

So effectively, if you hold a PPL licence from an ICAO contracting state, all you need to do is fill out form 61-4A (CASA website), provide the required evidence(logbook photocopies etc.) and meet the requirements for security and English proficiency.

CASA then verifies the licence with the foreign regulator and sends you an Australian licence. Should your licence not be from an ICAO contracting state, CASA may require a written examination and/or flight test.

Note there are minimum flight time requirements for the conversion to an Australian PPL. These are on the form, and are:

Total Aeronautical Experience (includes on all categories): Not less than 40

Total Flight Time as a Pilot (on all categories):Not less than 35

Total Flight Time as Pilot of an Aeroplane: Not less than 20

Total Solo Flight Time in an Aeroplane: Not less than 10

Total Solo Cross-Country Flight Time in an Aeroplane: Not less than 5

Total Dual Instrument Time (on all categories): Not less than 2

Total Dual Instrument Flight Time in an Aeroplane: Not less than 1

Form 61-4A is available on the CASA website at

The process for conversion of a CPL, MPL or ATPL hasn’t significantly changed. You fill out form 61-4A and send it in. 

CASA will assess your experience and send you for a theory exam at one of the ASL exam centres. 

On successful completion of the examination and verification of your overseas licence, CASA will send you a letter. You must take a copy of the letter from CASA, indicating that CASA is satisfied you have the overseas permissions that CASA will recognise, and evidence of completing the examination to a CASR 141 or 142 organisation, Sydney Aviators is currently in the transition period to this training scheme. 

We will then assess your flying competency and book your flight test. On completion of a successful flight test, you must submit Form 61-4B to CASA for issue of your Australian licence.

Previous conversion methods have also changed. 

The Special Pilot Licence no longer exists. 

The Certificate of Validation is completed by filling out form 61-4 COV, but is now targeted towards commercial pilots coming to Australia for short periods for commercial operations such as endorsement training or ferrying of aircraft.


Introductory Flight

If you are really keen to see what learning to fly is all about then this flight gives you an excellent introduction.

Find out more

Contact Us

Need more information, click here to make a request.

Enquire Now